Skip to main content

Marijuana questions coming to the NCLEX?

It won't be long until questions related to marijuana begin to show up on the NCLEX.


Okay, it might be a few years. But my guess is no more than 5 years before it's included in every nursing program. At NCLEX Simplified, we take a lot of pride in staying on top of the latest news. It's our job to make sure NCLEX Simplified is the best study guide for NCLEX that it can be- and that includes making sure all information in it is thorough and up-to-date.

Within the past few months, there has been a lot of chatter at the NCSBN about marijuana and practice guidelines for nurses to follow.


The NCSBN Homepage on February 27th, 2019




Marijuana has become legalized (at least for medical if not recreational use) in all but 17 states. That means that 33 of them are places you may encounter a patient who is mixing a form of THC with their usual medications! How do they interact with their blood pressure medications? How does THC affect their appetite or energy levels? Would you know how to administer it as a medication?

Unlike a regular medication that must go through the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), marijuana and all its forms don't have a list of approved clinical uses. There is no where to turn for recommended dosages or lists of side effects.

The NCSBN detailed its ideas in quite a long article in the Journal of Nursing Regulation, which I've summed up below.

Basically, it has decided that it's important for nursing students to possess knowledge in the following six areas:

1. Know the legality of marijuana in your state. Some states approve recreational use while others are strictly for medical purposes from licensed practitioners only. Do you know your state's rules? They might have changed or may be changing soon.

2. Know how to administer marijuana using guidelines by the Medical Marijuana Program in your state. The Medical Marijuana Program actually does the prescribing of THC compounds, not the healthcare provider. This means that they may each have their own specific rule sets, including if a caregiver is allowed to assist the patient in administration.

3. Know how marijuana works in the body and what receptors it hits. I don't know about you, but I wasn't sure myself until I looked it up! Within the next few years, nursing programs are going to be adding this information to their curriculum.

4. Know what conditions have high-quality research that support them being effectively treated for marijuana. So far, this is a limited list and does not include many conditions that you might think would qualify. Many of the certifying conditions feature intractable pain that is not well-treated by opioids or other traditional analgesics.

5. Know the safety considerations for a patient using marijuana. Is it able to be stored safely in a lock box in the home? Does the home contain minors? Does the patient know how to properly dispose of marijuana compounds that are not consumed?

6. Know that moral/social judgments should not be a part of care. Some people don't agreed that marijuana can be legalized, but the NCSBN is saying, "TOUGH!" If your patient is legally taking marijuana compounds, you must withhold any moral objections and treat the patient fairly and from a place of ethical decision-making.


Are you ready to answer NCLEX questions on marijuana? When do you think it will show up in nursing programs? Whenever it shows up, we promise NCLEX Simplified will be on it and ready with a study guide update!

Comments

  1. MY TESTIMONY ABOUT HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL CREAM ENLARGE MY PENIS FROM 4 INCHES TO 8 INCHES

    Hello everyone here i want to share a marvelous testimony oh how Dr Imoloa HERBAL MIXTURE CREAM saved me from shame and disgrace .So Many Women Today Cheat On Their Husband All Because Of The Poor Performance Of Their Husband In Bed,I Have Come To Know That Women Love Men Who Last Long In Bed And Also Has That Big Dick That Can Make Them Scream And Also Make Them Rich Their Climax,Women Truly Love Good Sex. I Have Been Passing True Sexual Problems For The Past Six Years Now All Because Of The Size Of My Penis And My Poor Performance In Bed I Caught My Wife With A Man On Our Matrimonial Bed I Was Heart Broken And Confused When I Asked Her Why She Did All What She Did She Told Me I Was Not Good In Bed That I Can Not Satisfy Her That She Needs A Man Who Can Satisfy Her That Was How She Broke Up With Me At That Moment. I Told My Self I Was Never Going To Have Any Thing To Do With Any Woman Again I Started Going To The Club Sleeping Around With Different Girls at a Point I Got Tired Of Living That Kind Of Life Because That Was Never Part Of Me I Was On Line Last Month When I Came Across so many testimonies On Dr imoloa, How He Made their Sex Life Come Back To Life And That He Had Giving Them The Real Size Of Penis A Man Suppose To Have I Got Interested And I Contacted Him At Once Luckily For Me He Was Online After About 30 Minutes He Replied Me And Then He Told Me Every Thing I Needed To Do After Every Thing He Sent Me A herbal cream Package True The DHL courier Service Which I Received The Next three Days And Then I Started Using Them As Instructed By Him After About 2 Weeks I Started Seeing My Penis Got to 8 inches And i Felt So Many Changes Inside Of Me And Today I Am Happily Married With 2 kids And Last Up more than 1 Hour On Bed and can go up to 10 rounds with my wife All Thanks To Dr imoloa For Making Me Feel Like A Man Once Again.note he also have cure for......
    PENIS ENLARGEMENT, BREAST ENLARGEMENT, DIABETES 1/2,HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,PREMATURE EJACULATION,WEAK ERECTION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ,LOW SPERM COUNT PREGNANCY HERBAL MEDICINE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE LOW SPERM COUNT LYME DISEASE many more.. Contact Him At drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp--+2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankes to Dr osaze who cured me of low sperm count and premature ejaculation, i was married for five years without an issue, my wife was now already comteplating divorce. until i saw Dr osaze's recommendations online, and i surmon courage to contact him, and he administered his herb on me, after two moonths my wife became pregnant. incase you wants to contact him for a similar problem, you can reach him through his email address: drosaze39@gmail.com or call +2347089275769

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Need to Worry About the New NCLEX

The Next Generation NCLEX (NGN) project has been going on for quite a while now. It's sought to determine if its questions really test what new nurses need to know when they enter their practice for the first time. Currently, only 20% of employers felt that new nurses are empowered with the knowledge to make critical clinical decisions - and that can account for some of the high error rate of new nurses (50% in the first year of practice!), low confidence to advocate for patients, and high turnover in hospital staffing. In an effort to do better, NCLEX is considering some drastic changes, and I don't mean to be inflammatory here, but you should be afraid. You should be very afraid. As technology has improved and the price of it has fallen, the NCSBN has considered using it to greatly enhance questions. And I don't just mean new drag-and-drop scenarios. I'm talking playing through clinical scenarios like a video game where you need to make the right choices . Or els

Explain Like I'm Five: The Pavlik Harness

1 week old. First minute in the Pavlik harness. Above is my daughter Elena, pictured at the age of 1 week of age. She is wearing what is known as a Pavlik harness, a cruel-looking device that can be confusing to understand. I certainly never thought I would have to understand it beyond the basic nursing questions. I was more than a little wrong. Elena in her harness, meeting her great-grandmother for the first time. Note how her hips could fold in but that she could not stretch her legs out, nor kick to the side. As it turns out, Elena was doomed. She and I literally had all the risk factors. Let's count them together! 1. Firstborn child. Check! 2. Female child. Check! 3. Breech position. Check! 4. Low amniotic fluid. Check! 5. Family history of hip dysplasia. Check check check! When she was first born, I remember craning my neck around from where I was positioned on the table to look at her as she was taken to the isolette. The entire NICU team was